> Those are the two I have here. mplayer was giving me endless grief
> actually ripping the tracks from the DVD so I haven't yet done that in
> fact, but:

mplayer -dumpaudio -dumpfile sound_track.wav ./source.vob

Granted that my default distro supplied version of mplayer didn't work for
this.  I had to compile a custom version of mplayer from source.  At least
that's how it was for debian.  At least it's not as bad as RH and others that
strip out all mp3 support and such.  Although I had to compile lame from source
as well on debian.  Mainly to get Layer III, versus Layer II type mp3's.  Since
my mp3 player is picky.  It also solved the Audacity issue of exporting mp3's
and not finding some lib.

I have a number of lower grade historical archives of visual arts programs with
insufficient audio.  i.e. Normalized to the audio of the announcer, not the
group.  So I've had to edit the audio and rejoin it to the video to make it
viewable (by humans) for all intents and purposes.  That and their DVD audio
format is 2.1 at best.

HTH