> I ended up recompiling an old version of xmms from source under Debian
> to get the real-time support I wanted, then compiled plugins from source
> as I needed them, using the checkinstall utility to create .deb files.
>
> Since this is the alsa-user list, does anyone know of current media
> players that use ALSA that support real-time priority? I want to play
> files of all audio formats, MIDI and streaming media without skipping on
> older hardware (-:.
>
> Arthur.

For jackd it wasn't so much of the media players that needed realtime priority.
 Modifying /etc/security/limits.conf gave me realtime priority at the user
level.  Just three new entries in that file:

@audio          -       rtprio          99
@audio          -       nice            -10
@audio          -       memlock         65536

And no need for other repositories since I compiled from source.  It was just
one package of 2,000+ installed packages.  Although there are others like
audacity compiled with --port-audio=v19.  Timidity with sequencer support and
jackd.  And various other annoyances.  I've pretty much run on highly stripped,
custom kernels since I was able to successfully create one.  So recompiling
from source is a no brainer.  And a lot less annoying on todays faster cpus.

HTH,
- James