> I guess I was the last person discussing the use of this chip, in the
> Schiit Bifrost
> http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=7

Yes, it was your discussion about the Schiit.

> The second is that "hw" does not handle the 24 bit word length, at
> least in this context, necessitating the use of "plughw" to get to 32
> bits.

Thanks for the information. So I need something like this?
pcm.usbplug {
        type plug
        slave {
                pcm "hw:1,0" # USB Audio device
                format S32_LE
                period_size 1024
                buffer_size 4096
        }
}

> Daniel gave me a kernel patch he thought might help the first problem
> and instructed me on its application, but that did not solve the
> problem.

Yes, the discussion has ended without real solution. So this is why I've asked
here again.
As soon as the China device arrives I can test if it has the same issues like
your Schiit.

Greetings

--
Thorsten Mühlfelder