Your advice was perfect ... it is pretty much embarrassing, but yeah,
changing to another USB port helped :-)

Did try that before, but just had catched the only other USB port of the
machine that obviously has problems, too. All other USB ports are
working fine - as I know now ... ;-)

So, thanks a bunch again!

Regards,
Joachim