Hi,

I think you have more or less answered your own question, but:

On Tue, Jun 03, 2014 at 17:02:30 -0700, chris hermansen wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 10:44 AM, Daniel Mack <dan...@zonque.org> wrote:
> > On 06/03/2014 07:26 PM, chris hermansen wrote:
> > > usb-audio:2: clock source 19 is not valid, cannot use
> >
> > Apparently, the clock source selected by the driver reports that it is
> > invalid (ie, missing phase lock of a optical link plug), and this is
> > what the driver reports.
>
> Looking at the output of lsusb -v, I see that two terminals refer to
> bCSourceID 19:
> - INPUT_TERMINAL bTerminalID 5 'SPDIF interface'
> - OUTPUT_TERMINAL bTerminalID 10 'USB Streaming'
>
> But looking at the fields in that Interface Descriptor, I can't see what
> links me back to the INPUT or OUTPUT TERMINALs.
>
>       AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
>         bLength                17
>         bDescriptorType        36
>         bDescriptorSubtype      2 (INPUT_TERMINAL)
>         bTerminalID             5
>         wTerminalType      0x0605 SPDIF interface
>         bAssocTerminal          0
>         bCSourceID             19
>         bNrChannels             2
>         bmChannelConfig   0x00000003
>           Front Left (FL)
>           Front Right (FR)
>         bmControls    0x0040
>           Cluster Control (read-only)
>         iChannelNames           0
>         iTerminal               0
> [...]
>       AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
>         bLength                12
>         bDescriptorType        36
>         bDescriptorSubtype      3 (OUTPUT_TERMINAL)
>         bTerminalID            10
>         wTerminalType      0x0101 USB Streaming
>         bAssocTerminal          0
>         bSourceID               5

That is the SPDIF INPUT_TERMINAL.

>         bCSourceID             19
>         bmControls         0x0000
>         iTerminal               0
> [...]
>       AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
>         bLength                 8
>         bDescriptorType        36
>         bDescriptorSubtype     10 (CLOCK_SOURCE)
>         bClockID               19
>         bmAttributes         0x00 External Clock
>         bmControls           0x07
>           Clock Frequency Control (read/write)
>           Clock Validity Control (read-only)
>         bAssocTerminal          0
>         iClockSource            0

So CLOCK_SOURCE 19 is an external clock from the optical input, only
used when using an SPDIF input, and only usable when an optical input is
connected.

Just to make things a bit more confusing, the SPDIF interface of the
CM6631 isn't connected to anything in the Schiit Bifrost, it uses a
separate CS8416 for SPDIF input. So I would expect the "clock source 19
is not valid, cannot use" message to show up even when connected to an
optical input.

Torstein