Hi Bill

I've tried most options with audacity in Scenario 2 without success. What I
have noticed is that my analog device dissapears and re-appears under certain
circumstanses. I assume this means that someother application, namely the html5
player in firefox has locked out the device for other applications.

Any way what I've done is made a small script to switch between the 2 versions
of .asoundrc as and when needed. Also, perhaps a real fudge is use a cable to
connect the headphone socket with the microphone socket and record that way.

Alex