On 08/12/16 18:18, James Shatto wrote:

> No, I mean you can record all four channels as input at the same time
> with the same app.  Hence the -c 4 aka 4 channels.  In audacity you
> just select 4 channels and press record.  Once recorded you can break
> them out into 4 mono channels and save each individually (unmixed).
> There's no mixing involved until you configure it to do so.  WAV files
> and other audio formats often contain multiple tracks.  Individual
> unmixed tracks.  They are mixed at the time of playback if configured
> to do so.

Yes that works.  I had to select M Audio Delta 44: ICE1712 Multi(hw:0,0)
for recording.

Page 4-30 of the ice1712/envy24 data sheet shows that a multi channel
buffer is used to record "a seamless flow of multiple streams".

So the hardware is capable of multitrack record without using any sound
servers.

Anyway this seems to work with arecord ...

pcm.D44_cslave {
        type dsnoop
        ipc_key 223456
        slave {
                pcm             "hw:0,0"
                rate            48000
                period_time     0               # in microseconds
                buffer_size     256             # in bytes
                period_size     64              # in bytes
                channels        4
                format          S32_LE
        }
        bindings {
                0 0
                1 1
                2 2
                3 3
        }
}

pcm.D44_ch12_capture {
        type            plug
        ttable.0.0 1
        ttable.1.1 1
        slave.pcm       D44_cslave
}

pcm.D44_ch34_capture {
        type            plug
        ttable.0.2 1
        ttable.1.3 1
        slave.pcm       D44_cslave
}

Terminal 1 ...

$ arecord -v -DD44_ch12_capture -r 48000 -c 2 -d 60 -fS32_LE ./test12.wav

Terminal 2 ...

$ arecord -v -DD44_ch34_capture -r 48000 -c 2 -d 60 -fS32_LE ./test34.wav

No XRUNs but the buffer settings could do with some further optimisation.

The key is to use a dsnoop instead of a hw as the slave.

Thanks for your help James.