Alan Bromborsky wrote:
> I have a program with audio output that cannot be redirected/piped to
> another program from the command line.  This program (Kodi) allows me
> to select the alsa device the sound stream is directed to.   I wish to
> to split a stereo stream into six channels (three for the right and
> three for the left channel) and apply dsp (probably using ecasound)
> processing to each channel.

"Probably"?  It's different if your DSP stuff wants ALSA devices or
is a Jack plugin.

> Basically my left and right speakers each will have a three way
> electronic dsp crossover.  I have heard comments that this can be
> done by defining a virtual (loopback?) alsa device.

There are "filter" plugins that sit between the application and the
actual device.

But if your processing is done by an application that wants to capture
data, munge them, and play them back, you need a loopback device, or
the ALSA<->Jack plugin.

Regards,
Clemens