From:  "DiAnne Lilburn" <dianne.lilburn(at)softball.org.au>

Subject:  Australia's win over Canada secures place in finals

Media Release

Australia’s win over Canada secures place in finals

With rain delaying the start of the game against Canada,Australia
came out strong to secure their fifth win of the VIII ISF JuniorWomen’s
World Championship in last night’s play.

The Australian Under 19 Women’s team, Aussie Prideplayed exceptional
softball in one of their biggest games of the championshipdefeating
the world number six Canadian team 7-4.

With Canada having a variety of good pitchers and a mix of speed
and power inthe batter’s box, Australia needed to continue their
domination in thebatter’s box and on the pitching mound after
scoring 30 runs in theirlast two games without Italy and Botswana
scoring a run.

Australia started the third innings well scoring five runsthrough
Ashleigh Deen, Verity Long-Droppert, Leigh Godfrey, Chelsea Forkin,
andRenee Gloss.  Canada changed their pitchers three times during
the inningsto try and stop the Australian team.

Head coach Leanne Evans was certain the young team would getover
the line, saying “I was confident that with our solid defence
andrecent hitting form that we would beat the Canadians. We both
have been evenlyplaced so far in the championship and we have
had the advantage of two hugewins in the lead up to this game.”

Clair Currie added another run to the growing tally in thetop
of the fifth innings and Verity Long-Droppert, scored her second
run of thegame in the sixth innings, helping Australia secure
the win.

Alison Bourne, who turns 19 tomorrow, pitched the seveninnings
for Australia, giving up only four hits, facing 29 batters with
sevenstrike-outs. Bourne has pitched a total of seventeen innings
with 29 strikeouts for the championship so far.

Australia will play Puerto Rico in the last of the roundrobin
matches tonight at 7.30pm (AEST).

Australia has been one of the stand out teams in Pool Balong
with the USA and Canada.  Japan is the most dominant team in
Pool A,followed by Holland, Venezuela and Chinese Taipei.

If Australia defeat Puerto Rico, they will finish in secondplace
on the Pool B ladder and will take on Japan, Pool A leaders,
on Friday inthe first of the finals.

_____________________________________
DiAnne Lilburn
National CommunicationsCoordinator
Softball Australia
Suite 4, Ground Floor
38-40 Prospect Street

Box Hill, Victoria 3128

T: +61 3 9890 8200
F: +61 3 9890 8295
M: +61 (0) 405 509 674

For moreinformation visit www.softball.org.au

Did you know thatAustralia is the world's number one softball
nation?
World number three - Open Women's team (Aussie Spirit), Silver
Medallist(Athens, 2004), Bronze Medallists (Sydney 2000 and Atlanta
1996).
World number one - Under 19 Men's team (Aussie Colts), three
consecutiveWorld Championship titles.
World number three - Open Men's team (Aussie Steelers) and Under
19Women's team (Aussie Pride).

 Al's Fastball News
*Email: fastball(at)pmihrm.com
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]