With respect to having the current amanda directory backed up, what I do is simply run scripts from a crontab entry:

45 22 * * * /usr/local/adm/backup/daily-amanda;
/usr/local/adm/backup/daily-amanda-config

The first script runs amanda and then runs a script I wrote called amchanger that accesses the tape library and unloads the tape that amanda just wrote to. The second script in the crontab entry does incremental and full backups of the amanda home directory on a weekly cycle to another server using cpio. The semicolon in the crontab entry says to wait until the first one is completed before calling the second one. I get an email report from amanda when the backups are done, and I get an email report from cron when the scripts are all completed, because they generate output to standard output.

Running on Ubuntu these days. Originally set up on Solaris.

I think all of this and details are back in the list archives somewhere.
Possibly on the wiki as well.