On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 17:04 +0100, Matthias Haegele wrote:
> Bärtl schrieb:
> > Hello,
>

> > Another question regarding performance: What would be the best
> configuration for amavisd childs?
> >I have mysql, postfix, clamd, amavisd, spamassassin running on this
> machine (P4 2800 (no HT), 384MB Ram).
>
>                                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> More RAM?

Definitely more RAM.  I've found that it works best with at least two
gig.  Ramp up the processes until you can run a day without swapping.

>  You could also use a ramdisk (if enough RAM is installed,
> depends on max. "mailsize" iirc: $sa_mail_body_size_limit, ...) for
> amavisd cause (disk) I/O is almost always slowest in the chain ...
> How many mails/day?
>
> >At the moment i have 5 processes configured but i think fewer would
> maybe be better cause the load average is around 3 to 4 with that many
> amavisd processes.

If the load is in wait state, then you need to cur the number of
processses.

vmstat will give you the essential information:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ vmstat
procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- --system-- ----cpu----
 r  b   swpd   free   buff  cache   si   so    bi    bo   in    cs us sy id wa
 1  0 193496  76396 123780 293280    1    2     3     3    2     6  8  1 89  2

This box with 2 GB of ram and 32 children discards about 65000 spams a
day.  I should probably cut the children down some now, Greylisting has
cut the number of concurrent sessions I need to maintain.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CISSP # 78281, CNX
Austin Energy