Thanks for the replies. At the moment everything is running fine and i have the
time to check why this happened. And maybe allready found it. It seems like the
database server (mysql) wasn't running 'normal'. Amavis reported many retries
to connect over the weekend and then switched to the error: 'too many links in
amavis/tmp'. So maybe amavis restartet itself and allways created new temp
directories. There where no more 'dead' directories from yesterday afternoon
til now.
Maybe it's a goog idea to put a connection test for mysql and amavisd in our
nagios.

Running amavisd-new 2.4.3, btw. Postfix 2.2.9, SA 3.1.7, clamd 0.88.5.

I know that the machine needs more RAM. Maybe i should have mentioned it is
running in a VM-Ware Session on a DELL Server that only has 768MB at the
moment. For normal operation it is running really smooth (load average between
.1 and .2). Only if there is any problem and many mails are in the queue (like
the 15k yesterday) it takes time to process them (took like 3 hours til the
queue was down to normal). I will try to get a bit mor RAM and tune the VM
Session a bit.

A normal weekdays load is aroung 6 to 7k mails. Where 500 to 800 mails are
clean, around 500 infected and rest blocked as spam. On weekends there is
nearly no clean mail (around 50 a day), spam is the same amount and a bit more
infected mail is hitting us.

Thanks for the sa-bayes tip Gary, i will run 'sa-learn --force-expire' tonight.

Regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Martin Bärtl
CDP Bharat Forge GmbH
mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]