Leonardo Rodrigues,

> I'm doing some file blocking with amavisd and i noticed amavisd
> 2.6.0 can done file blocking on two different variables:
> banned_filename_re
>   and
> banned_namepath_re
>     (yes, use only one at a time, i know)

Even both at the same time may be used, but this gets excessively
difficult to understand and is redundant, so it is best to stick to
one or the other.

> banned_namepath seems to me very complex. banned_filename is not
> that simple, but at least not as complex as banned_namepath.

Right. I was trying to come up with a more general-purpose sulution
than banned_filename_re offes, and came up with the banned_namepath_re.
The downside is that it is even harder to uderstand as you have noted,
so I'm not pushing this solution.

>     question .... being banned_namepath the 'new' way of doing this, is
> banned_filename scheduled to be removed on future releases, or both ways
> will continue to exist on amavisd-new ?

Seems they are both here to stay, none is scheduled for being phased out.

> what are the main advantages of banned_namepath aginst
> banned_filename ...... i couldnt get them ... the only difference
> i can note is that banned_namepath is pretty much more complex ....

The advantage of a banned_namepath is that each rule has a "bird's eye view"
on the entire information about each mail part, i.e. its position in a MIME
tree, file and mime types and names of all its parent nodes, etc.  So a rule
can potentially make more complex decision, based on the environment
in which each mail part is (e.g. a.txt within z.zip is allowed, while b.txt
whithin a z.zip is not, even though b.txt within some other archive is fine).

The banned_filename only sees one node at a time (no parent nodes of each
leaf node), but compensates for the lack of information by sticking to
a pre-established top-down order of traversal of a tree. So if a rule
decides for example that x.zip is allowed, the rules for checking each
member of a zip archive are not even reached. Which suffices for most
common needs.