Rodolfo,

> I have many amavisd-new installations working for several virtual hosts,
> each one in independent IP addresses and domains. Is it possible to have
> a central spamd scanning messages, just like clamd would do it for
> virus?, something like this:
>
> amavisd ---------
>                   \
> amavisd ---------------- spamd
>                   /
> amavisd ---------
>
> instead of having each amavisd process loading spamassassin code and
> rules. My guess is that this could lead to a big decrease in memory
> usage. I'm not sure about the impact in performance (CPU usage, speed),
> but the amavisd-new docs hint that it could be nearly the same.

I assume you'd want to minimize memory needs of each virtual host,
at the expense of having many content filtering processes running on
one dedicated host.

Since amavisd-new-2.6.3 it is possible to use an external spamd server
and let amavisd behave as a spamc client to it:

  @spam_scanners = (
    ['SpamdClient', 'Amavis::SpamControl::SpamdClient' ],
  );

This was not intended as a mechanism to depend-on in a production
environment, but more like a test vehicle for the external spam scanners
feature which brought support for CRM114 and DSPAM. Adding a spamc/spamd
protocol to that was just an exercise, and as a side product this also
serves as a test environment for exercising spamd.

Despite not being tried-out much, it probably works just fine for
unusual situations like yours. Some features will not be available though,
as the spamc/spamd protocol is quite limited. For example: passing of
a truncated large mail message to spamd is not supported;  DKIM test
results can not be passed from amavisd to spamd;  additional information
like timing, autolearn results, and header edits can not be passed
back from spamd to amavisd.

Also, the dynamic adjustment of the number of spamd processes may not
work well with amavisd, I suggest you set --min-children high enough,
or perhaps disable this auto-adjustments altogether.

Overall, it may make more sense to run a central amavisd server on
a common host, then let each MTA on virtual hosts feed its messages
there on a dedicated per-virtual-host port number (so that you can
have per-virtual-host policy banks loading appropriate settings),
then receive filtered mail back.