dbw/Keith:

Search over.  This code produces the same plot as the Metastock code.

Bill
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: dbw451
  To: amibroker@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 9:42 PM
  Subject: RE: [amibroker] Help with coding PREV alternative

  Hi Keith,

  I had to read up on the PREV function in MetaStock.  That is one of the
strangest coding implementations for a programming language syntax I've ever
seen:

  The PREV constant is used in a custom indicator to reference the previous
output of the same formula.  The PREV constant represents the value for the
previous time period ONLY FOR THE STATEMENT IN WHICH IT EXISTS.

  Since the PREV function needs the previous bar's value of itself it's
actually a recursive function.  I suggest you determine the values for the
first condition, fill in the rest of the values with the last good value of the
first condition, then use that array for your second condition values:

  IH_Periods = Param("Initial High", 21, 10, 100,1);

  HH = IH_Periods - 1;

  tmp = IIf(Ref(High,-HH)>=HHV(High,HH),HHV(High,HH),0);

  tmp2 = ValueWhen(Ref(High,-HH)>=HHV(High,HH),tmp);

  High_DOTS = IIf(Ref(High,-HH)>=HHV(High,HH),HHV(High,HH),tmp2);

  Plot(High_DOTS, " DOTS", colorBlack, 8+16);

  I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for because your logic text can be
interpreted a couple different ways, but it fits your logic and explanation as
I understand it.  I'm guessing you use this indicator as a trailing stop for
shorts because as I understand it, the values (Dots) only change with changes
in the high 20 periods ago.

  Regards,

  David