Don,
I too am saddened by the outcome of AMSAT-France.  This latest discussion
about Phonetics had me cringing too.  If a standard is put together to make
it clearer to understand each other, than so be it.  I remember (yes I am an
old cranky Fart, I guess) before Satcom, phonetics had to be used to make
sure of the calls of the stations you were communicating with. Like my Name-
If I didn't use Delta Echo Echo I might be called BEE(?)  (HA!)
Maybe the BOD is listening to the powers to be about why our group is
shrinking and maybe not.  Just back from another Hamfest, the people that I
try to persuade about joining or "rejoining" have the same old fart
attitude..What happened to HEO thinking?  While I enjoy LEO's as well, we
have to reach another road or the AMSAT France syndrome will take
effect(Notice how I merged that in there...)
I have read many technical discussions here on the BB and have even answered
many questions as well.  There are those that will assist if requested.  Let
us all take the "higher" road and show those that use the satellites need to
support our group so we can move up the ladder to newer projects with a
sense of backing from the "Membership!" MEMBERSHIP means getting your
checkbooks out and renew as required.  Dayton is around the corner. Come to
the booth and  meet all the heavy hitters that spend so much of their free
time volunteering to keep all enthralled in this end of the hobby.  Discuss
what you feel the direction of this organization should be.
If you are in the NJ area, meet me at a local hamfest.  Your views are
important - so is your renewal of partnership in our group.
Phonetically speaking and drinking from my foam cup...
November Bravo (two) Foxtrot,
Delta Echo Echo - Old Foxtrot Alpha Romeo Tango (Tung in cheek guys)