See comments in line below:

Jeff Moore  --  KE7ACY

----- Original Message ----- From: "Glen Zook" <gz...@yahoo.com>

I can assure you that in basically 52 years of working DX that geographical
names definitely work better in the vast majority of situations than the ICAO
phonetics.  Yes, eventually, the ICAO phonetics will be understood.  However,
the station on the other end is generally going to work stations that are the
easiest to recognize and that includes what phonetics are used.  Therefore, how
much time you spend in the pileup depends on how well the DX station
understands your transmissions.  As for me, I prefer not to spend a long time
in a pileup!

<== If everybody is using the same phonetic alphabet, then there shouldn't be
any problem understanding what one is saying.

I give up!  The same arguments that are made time after time on QRZ.com for
using only the ICAO phonetics are being made here.  Frankly, the ICAO phonetics
do NOT work well, if at all, for certain letters when the other station does
not have English as their first language, especially when QRM or QSB is present.

<==  Don't you ever wonder why you keep seeing the same arguments??  The ITU
phonetic alphabet works fine if it's used.

I keep saying that ICAO phonetics are fine when English is the first language
of the person or if the person who does not have English as their primary
language has had formal training in the "proper" use of the ICAO phonetic
alphabet.  However, when the ICAO phonetic alphabet fails, then the operator
needs to have an alternate phonetic alphabet available rather than continue to
attempt to get the information across using the ICAO phonetics.

<==  "Training" comes from use.  What I don't understand is how you can
advocate a phonetic alphabet that by your own admission isn't even documented
legitemately anywhere let alone recognized or recommended.

I am receiving numerous E-Mails from people who definitely agree that when
working DX using geographical names usually works much better.  But, those
persons are hesitant to enter into this discussion.

<==  Could it be that they understand the quicksand you're standing on?

Basically, everyone is chasing their tail.  That is, those who think that the
ICAO phonetics are sacred and need to be used no matter what against those who
believe that certain circumstances require using an alternative phonetic
alphabet.  Few persons are going to change their minds!

<==  There's nothing "sacred" about the ITU phonetic alphabet.  It's just the
current Internationally recognized and recommended standard that should be
used.  Anything else just confuses people.

One needs to look at the public safety arena where the ICAO phonetics are just
not used.  If the ICAO phonetics are so great then why is there an APCO
phonetic alphabet?  The basic answer is that public safety organizations have
found that the ICAO phonetics just don't do a good job.  Therefore, the APCO
phonetic alphabet.

<==  Public safety organizations use their own phonetic alphabet for the same
reason they use their own numeric codes, to confuse the general public and make
it harder for them to understand the info being passed.  It has nothing to do
with one being easier to understand than the other.

I can assure you that this discussion will never end because those who insist
that the ICAO phonetics must be used no matter what seldom realize that they
are no panacea and that alternate phonetics do have a place in radio
communications.

<==  You're right!  As long as people argue against the accepted, documented,
recommended prevailing standard, the discussion will go on.  Come up with a
documented, better phonetic alphabet and get it internationally recognized and
recommended and then this discussion will go away (or at least be changed to an
argument between the old and new standard).  As long as there is no official
alternative (and I don't give a rip about how long the geographic
non-documented non-standard has been used), the internationally recognized
standard is what should be used.  You can play your word games all day long on
DX, but as soon as you start working emcomm - you'd better be using the
accepted standard or you're putting people's lives at stake.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com