> #8  0x40058755 in TkpDisplayButton () from /usr/lib/libtk8.4.so

It is actually the send button. I enabled the "standard grey flat button"
in chatwindow.tcl and increased the -width argument (but I mean REALLY
increase it, had to set it to 60) and it is stable! I just get a funny
huge button that turns normal again when I hover it :) but at least, no
crashes.

I will keep experimenting, but since I am hacking an unknown code in an
unknown language, I'd appreciate it if someone else gave it a try :)

Vivia