----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Turner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, July 12, 2004 11:56 PM
Subject: Re: [analog-help] time out errors

> It can certainly ask for part of it if it wants -- there is a syntax for
> that in HTTP. This is common for PDF requests -- many clients ask for
them
> a page at a time, because you often don't end up reading the whole
document.

Ah, yes - makes perfect sense now - thanks, Stephen. I did a spot of RTFM
too - I see it now: Content-Range header of the HTTP request.

While I was at it, I looked up 408 too - the definition given in my book is
"the server timed out waiting for the full client request" - so I'm
guessing that this would only occur in situations where the client passed
only some of its HTTP request headers, and didn't manage to reach the stage
of the double CRLF before the server decided to give up. A fairly rare
situation, I'd guess, but possible, so it needed a status code.

Cheers
Neil