Mark,
Thank you for the tip.  I got WebViewDemo going...but not being
content as to why
that works and why mine didn't I dug a bit more.

If anybody is interested...I changed the layout (see below for original)
 "wrap_contents" to "fill_parent", as was done in the WevViewDemo.

That works.

If anybody could comment on that, I would appreciate it.

-Mike

Here is my layout: (main.xml)
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<LinearLayout xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android";