Where do all the activities go?

What I mean is... My app contains a list. When I click on an item, I
fire up a new activity. Potentially I could do the same again, and
again. Are all these activities still running? If so, how can I switch
between them, or view a list of which activities are running?

If I go back to the main menu and start my app, it behaves as if it's
just started, so there's no evidence of any of the other activities
still running.

I'm working on the emulator here, naturally.