hi james, thanx for reply. I try to explain what I want to achieve.

It is actually very simple, but maybe I am walking on the wrong path
since I "think in the Windows way" other than in the "Android way" :)

My app is a window with 3 buttons (can't use tab since the buttons
will increase in the future and since this is a porting from other
platform and I have to follow the same UI guidelines as far as
possible). Each button launch an activity and needs a reference to the
main activity (parent) in order to use some common utility classes.

I thought to do so by implementing the main activity as an
ActivityGroup (thank to you first suggestion) and launch each child
activity by getLocalActivityManager().startActivity() as I said in the
new activity view. I have to explicitly call setContentView and put
the child activity view (obtained by getDecorView()). Is this the
right way or am I doing a mess? Then, when I finish() the child I
restore the old view.