Thanks for continued help.

I now have two items, a status-bar app which calculates speed limit,
and a widget which [should] receive the new speed limit(s).

I don't think I can use ACTION_APPWIDGET_UPDATE outside the widget??
Any comments welcomed.
jp

--------status bar app-------------

        Uri uri = Uri.parse("55");
        Intent intent = new Intent(Intent.ACTION_APPWIDGET_UPDATE, uri);
        sendBroadcast(intent);

        <receiver android:name=".WordWidget"
android:label="@string/widget_name">
            <intent-filter>
                <action
android:name="android.appwidget.action.APPWIDGET_UPDATE" />
            </intent-filter>
android:resource="@xml/widget_word" />
        </receiver>