There was a few books being written, as well as a few that have already
been released. I did read a few parts of Android Essentials from APress,
but I found the content and API's in the book to be different from the
0.9 SDK that I was using at the time. I have found that a good handle on
Java and the android mailing lists are the best way to get going with
Android.

Also, try Amazon.com. There was a few books there.