At the start of your program, do
        requestWindowFeature(Window.FEATURE_INDETERMINATE_PROGRESS);

Then when you want to display a rotating little circle in the title
bar, do
                setProgressBarIndeterminateVisibility(true);

When updating or whatever is done, do
                setProgressBarIndeterminateVisibility(false);

Of course, you can use other types of progress bars in pretty much the
same way.