I am having a little problem of using progress dialog. Trying to
figure out how and the optimal way of using the progress dialog. My
application needs to grab information from different servers, so I am
trying to show the progress dialog at the appropriate moment.

I am trying to use a gallery to grab different images. At the start of
the activity, I will have a pop up that says loading, and then spin
off a different thread to start retrieving images in the background
and store the images in a bitmap array. And once I get the first few
images, the thread would send a message to the activity to let it know
that it can set up the adapter and start displaying the first few
images. The user then can start flipping through different images. In
the adapter getView method, I will check the bitmap array from the
thread to see if the image in the specific position that the user is
trying to view is loaded yet. If the bitmap array for the position is
null then the adapter will send a message to the activity and asks the
activity to display the progress dialog and at the same time the
adapter will tell the thread that the user is trying to view the image
at that specific position. Then the thread will then send a message to
the activity to dismiss the progress dialog once the image of that
specific position has been loaded.

That's the general idea, but for some reason the message been sent
from the adapter to the activity for showing the progress dialog is
not working. I can see the message been send because the logging is
been printed out in the message handler but the dialog is not showing
up. Anyone has a clue?