I sent one recently to Appbrain. They sent me an e-mail suggesting
that someone was trying to "claim" my apps on their site. It seemed to
me to be a spammy  attempt to get me to sign up on their site and pay
them for app promotion. Here's the text: (redacted)

**********************
Hello USNaviguide LLC,
<bogus e-mail>@gmail.com requested to claim ownership of your apps on
www.appbrain.com, the online Android app directory.

Claiming your app gives access to the advanced AppBrain stats, and to
AppBrain's free and paid promotion services. Please click this link to
claim your developer account on AppBrain:

http://www.appbrain.com/verify_dev?d=<redacted>

Best regards,
Mathijs Vogelzang,
AppBrain team

**********************

This unscrupulous marketing tactic prompted me to ask them to remove
my apps from their site. When they wouldn't do that, I filed a DMCA
notice which got them to do it.

SInce then, I've noticed app comment spam like this:

by Dylan (October 13, 2010)
Great App! Search for more free apps at www.<redacted>.com

The site is always a parked domain using Google AdSense for domains
but the kicker is the primary result in the ads is always Appbrain.
This leads me to believe that Appbrain is spamming comments to promote
their questionable site. I've seen this app spam in one form or
another on dozens of popular apps.

As far as I know, there is no way to stop such unscrupulous marketing
tactics nor is there a way to remove or block these appbrain spammers
from continuing this spammy marketing campaign.

-John Coryat