what do you mean by default view? that method is supposed to return a View
which is used to render the list item. the default implementation, whose
source i recommend you read, returns back a TextView the id (you can pass a
more complex view which has a TextView element etc. all of which is
documented) to which you pass in the constructor. the convertView is a
recycled view which can be used if it meets all the requirements. you should
override this method, as suggested by treking if you want to do anything
more than what is done by default.