Fwiw, there is nothing that intrinsically requires the resource table to not
be compressed.  This is done because it allows it to be mmapped instead of
loaded into RAM, which can be a lot more efficient at run time.

If you want to, you can massage the .apk with a zip tool so that
"resources.arsc" is compressed instead of stored.  If the resource table is
only 200k, the overhead of loading the whole thing into RAM for each app
using it is not that significant...  but on the other hand, I don't see 200K
as being all that big to get upset about either or go to extreme effort to
avoid. :}

And I generally wouldn't recommend people start compressing their resource
table -- that part of your .apk is generally loaded into at least 3
processes (your own, launcher, and the system), so being able to mmap it is
a big win.

Also if you target API level 7 or higher, resource strings are stored as
UTF-8 instead of UTF-16 which will generally halve the space needed by them.

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Pent <tas...@dinglisch.net> wrote:

> Course, as soon as I post I solve it :-)
>
> The perl script to do all the munging wasn't outputting utf-8.
>
> Pent

Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer
hack...@android.com