On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 8:22 AM, DanH <danhi...@ieee.org> wrote:

> Yeah, the stuff in "values" is "precompiled" into an internal XML
> representation and isn't compressed.  XML files that aren't
> precompiled should compress quite efficiently.

That's not true, the stuff in values is parsed by aapt into a binary
resource table and the original XML structure is gone.

Files in raw are left entirely as-is and not modified at all.

XML files in other directories are pre-compiled into a binary XML format
that is much more efficient to parse and does things like combine duplicate
strings, and this binary format will also be compressed in the zip.  (Older
versions of aapt didn't compress those files, but anything newer should and
the result is compatible with older versions of the platform.)

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer

answer them.