I thought I had this issue. But it turned out to be that I didn't know
how to use the new RelativeLayout functionality.

You can't just drop the new view anywhere, you have to drop it onto
the specific locations that indicate what relationship the new view
should have to what's there. Including the initial content view, which
you need to relate to the parent.

It's really quite slick, guiding you toward a "correct-by-
construction" approach that really helps you get relative layouts
right without thinking much about it. But it's baffling at first.