I do understand how the new system works..

Re: no longer being able to add views - I know that it has to be at
specific locations, but when there is only a single RelativeLayout
present, I should be able to add a button via alignParentLeft/Right/
Top/Bottom - it would not allow me to do that until I closed out and
re-opened it.

My problems are:

a) For layouts to work in 1.5, you have to put them in a specific
order - To do this correctly, I can no longer move views up or down, I
have to manually edit the xml - the new drag-and-drop seems to prevent
you from making a mistake in this regard, but doesn't allow it to be
corrected (i.e. you get a Red box with the X across it)
b) The drag-and-drop method is very "align-happy" in RelativeLayout -
many times I have to go and remove alignments that it added
automatically - it reminds of of something akin to FrontPage creating
HTML.. throwing on properties that may or may not be necessary :)
c) The new system makes it difficult if not impossible to align one
layout with another - for example, try to add two Linear Layouts
inside a RelativeLayout, one below the other.
d) Even with 'Display extra margins' turned on, it is sometimes
difficult to drag new views into an empty layout - particularly when
there is a number of other views nearby. This was not difficult
before, when I could just right-click and add a view to the empty
layout

There are improvements for sure, like I said, I'm ecstatic that they
are working to make it easier, but as bad as the old method was, I
find myself having more difficulties now than before.. maybe I just
need more time to get used to it.