> What I was thinking of trying was to create a little app that has an icon
> so the user would have something to click on. from there I could tell them
> what they need to know.

Probably with this solution you would get comments like "Shouldn't appear in
the app drawer!!"...1-star.
I got comments like those with a clock-widget, where the main Activity just
showed instructions... at the end I made that activity <category
android:name="android.intent.category.INFO" />, in this way it didn't appear
in the app-drawer but users could press the "Open" button through the Market
and get the instructions.
Maybe you could try something like that.

Yuvi

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 11:56 PM, Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca> wrote:

> <laugh>
> I'm with you John, that's exactly what we need :)
> I love that little Radar widget BTW, use it in my geocaching app :)
>
> With an IM it's even worse because there is no app icon and the user has to
> dig down a few settings levels to turn it on, then they have to enable it.
> What I was thinking of trying was to create a little app that has an icon
> so the user would have something to click on. from there I could tell them
> what they need to know.
>
> So, i was asking if anyone has tried that and if there are other ways I
> might be able to improve the user experience, like giving them an on/off
> button in that little app. I'm not sure that the system would let a 3rd
> party app change the keyboard though.

YuviDroid
Check out Launch-X <http://android.yuvalsharon.net/launchx.php> (a widget to
quickly access your favorite apps and contacts!)
http://android.yuvalsharon.net