There is also another opportunity: to use a standard encryption
(javax.crypto.spec.DESKeySpec for example) to encode only some
critical fields in SQLlite table and leave the tables, indexes and
other non-critical fields open.
In this case the critical fields should be encoded and stored as blobs
which should be decoded after reading.
Of course there are several issues to address (keys management,
reverse engineering) but overall it seems to be less complicated than
building your own SQL DB engine (SQLCipher) in native code.