Has anyone been able to surf the web from their G1 *strictly* via Wi-
Fi?

... how about, the wifi network created by their Mac laptop's Airport
Internet Sharing?

Has anyone in Canada been able to successfully connect via Fido (or
any other carrier)?

I am a developer in Canada -- and we don't have T-Mobile here -- so I
purchased an unlocked G1 on eBay (CAN$820 or US$665 for the device,
unlocking, shipping, and taxes). The phone arrived and worked as
expected according to a few minutes of superficial use without
networking being involved. The phone was unlocked by the eBay seller,
and the notification bar had a message saying that there was a problem
syncing (to the eBay seller's gmail account). Naturally there was a
problem syncing, because no networking was turned on. I decided to try
to figure out how to input my own Google account username and
password, and get the G1 synced accordingly. However, there was no
apparent way to do this. My next thought was to at least try to
establishing network connectivity, after all, the G1 is has wifi
support (i.e. I should not need a carrier's data plan -- just a wifi
connection).

My plan was to connect to my own wifi network (using Mac OS X's
Airport "Internet Sharing"). This is where the problems started. First
of all, the name of my network (in the list of wifi networks) was
appearing and disappearing, yet I was right in front of the laptop
serving wifi. Moving away, to other parts of the apartment, did not
alter this flaky behaviour. Just from that experience, I was starting
to feel uneasy, as I've never had a problem with other devices sharing
my wifi signal. The connection would get established periodically,
with a private IP address obtained! I then clicked "home", opened the
"browser", and couldn't load the google home page. Two hours of
efforts were futile -- the G1 simply would not load google.com (or any
website for that matter). Note that my other laptop had no problem
connecting to the same wifi network.

At last I was frustrated enough that I thought that perhaps there was
some setting that I was not aware of that was causing this issue. So I
found the "reset" option somewhere in the G1's "settings". A dialog
warned that all the data would be erased, but I didn't mind because I
hadn't loaded any data. Following a power cycle, the device showed an
animation of a box and a G1 being removed from within (presumably to
indicate that this is an "out of the box" state). I only ever got to
see this out-of-the-box animation that one time. From that point on, I
have been stuck in the following "activation" loop:

(1) A screen with the Android logo, "Welcome to T-Mobile G1" and
"Touch the android to begin." Touching the android shows a screen
titled "Setting up your T-Mobile G1", and then the on-screen buttons
are "Emergency dial" and "Next". The physical "menu" button brings up
one item: "APN settings".

(2) Touching "Next" brings up a screen with two buttons -- one to
"Create" a Google account, and one to "Sign in". Again, the physical
"menu" button brings up only the APN settings item. As I have a Google
account, I touch "Next", which brings me to a sign-in screen.

(3) The sign-in screen has two text fields: username and password. The
on-screen buttons are "Back" and "Sign in". The physical "menu"
buttons still only has APN settings.

(4) When I attempt to sign in, the screen says "Signing in...", "Your
phone is communicating with Google servers and setting up your
account. This may take up to five minutes." There is a kind-of
progress bar and the process times out within a minute.

(5) The screen following the time out says "There is a problem
communicating with the Google servers.", "This could be a temporary
problem or your SIM card may not be provisioned for data services. If
it continues, call Customer Care." There is a "Try again" button, and
the usual "APN settings" menu.

(6) The "APN settings" menu has a list of APNs, and a submenu "New
APN".

That's it. That's my loop. I cannot get to the "HOME" screen. I've
talked to the following support lines:

- Fido technical support
- Rogers support
- T-Mobile's technical support
- HTC
- Google (yes, I've even called Google, and I was told that they don't
support the G1, and that T-Mobile wanted to handle the support)

I've even gone to Fido and Rogers stores, and used their in-store data-
provisioned SIM cards to no avail.

I have also eased the APN process by deleting all the T-Mobile APNs,
and just working on one Fido APN setting at a time. Why you ask?
Because not even Fido has a definitive answer for what their settings
are. Try surfing the web for this info, and you will see a variety of
settings. The only way for me to be somewhat sure that I have the
right settings is to have deleted all the APNs, and then adjusted one
variable at a time -- my indicator of success is the GPRS/EDGE
"service connected, data flowing" icons. When I have a good setting,
those icons show up, and once in a while light up the up-arrow or down-
arrow. When I have a bad setting, those icons don't appear. Based on
this, a setting that seems to work is:

APN: wap.fido.ca
Username: fido
Password: fido
Server: 205.151.011.011
MCC: 302
MNC: 37

The Mobile Country Code (MCC) and Mobile Network Code (MNC) are both
filled automatically, based on my Fido SIM card. When I put the Rogers
SIM card in, those two numbers were automatically different (for the
"new" APN I created.

So that's pretty much the bulk of my situation with the G1. It is
currently a brick. And it totally blows my mind that there is no way
around this activation loop. Like, why shouldn't I be able to use this
device without activation?

Has anyone else seen similar problems? I've seen some people mention
similar things on various forums, but I would like to hear what the
developers think. Does anyone have any ideas about what I should try
next?

In a week I will be going to a T-Mobile store across the boarder, and
trying their T-Mobile G1-data provisioned SIM card. Other than waiting
another week, I have no idea what else to try.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time!