I think you have this backwards. Completely backwards.

First, neither the Eclipse IDE, nor the Android plugin for Eclipse,
are really "developed by the community". While they may accept
community contributions, the main developers in are paid
professionals.

Second, if the Android paid professionals had to develop, not only the
Android portion, but also the Java portion, and the basic IDE editing
framework, and the XML portion, and the build portion -- well, the
result would be -- no IDE at all. NOT a better IDE.

And finally, having used IDE tools for other languages as well, I can
tell you that Eclipse in most cases wins the comparison, if you
compare Java (or J#). But no tool wins every comparison!

But: If you are programming in C++, well, Eclipse is weak in C++. But
Visual Studio is weak in C++, just less so. C++ has many issues that
make it hard to create a good IDE for. Include files and the
preprocessor, for two examples.

But for Java, Eclipse really shines. There's a bug, with workarounds,
that makes the completion slow for some people -- but not unusably
slow, unless you try to run it on an underpowered machine. I've
complained about the XML layout formatting myself, but that is a very
narrow issue, and is being fixed, and of course, you can give a
command to reformat. It's an annoyance, true, as the reformatting
command isn't as nice as my manual formatting! But hardly a deal-
breaker.

If you're finding Eclipse and ADT to be barely useful, I would look at
learning the tools better. I think it would really help if there were
a better way to do so!  Pair programming with someone who knows how to
use them well would be ideal, but often impractical. I haven't
investigated whether there are training classes available specifically
for the tools, but perhaps taking an Android training class would
cover it? Failing that, just taking the time to work through the
documentation that exists, and the examples, and exploring the tools
available, will be time well spent.

Without that, you'll find it is a chore to develop in ANY new language
or IDE. It always is, at first, but after a while, you learn
strategies for learning a new language or IDE, and that helps shorten
the period considerably.

Tomorrow I re-learn Visual Studio, after having not used it much over
the past few years. I'm not looking forward to it, but I know I'll be
OK.