Perhaps the actual question is "how to get a byte[] for a given
Bitmap" or vice versa.  This is, indeed, Android-specific and not
as obvious as the Base64 part of your question.

However, again, with a couple minutes of Google use, I found
this snippet:

 // have Bitmap bitmap from somewhere
 ByteArrayOutputStream bos = new ByteArrayOutputStream();
 bitmap.compress(CompressFormat.JPEG,100,bos);
 byte[] array = bos.toByteArray();
 // now have byte[] array to use, e.g., base64 encode

And then on the decompression side,

 // have byte[] array from somewhere, e.g., base64 decode
 Bitmap bitmap =
    BitmapFactory.decodeByteArray(array, 0, array.length);
 // now have Bitmap bitmap to use, e.g., to make a drawable