Venkata,
All you probably need is an activity. May be just the activity that
you are on when the menu is clicked.

Eitherway on the menu click start an asynctask and you can show the
progress bar while the asynctask is in progress.

At the end of that asynctask you can update the view in your activity
with the data. Or you can start a new actvity first and have that new
activity start an async task.

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 2:44 PM, venkata raidu <venkata.ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Problem:
> I need to display a dialog upon the click of a menu item. The
> information to be displayed on the dialog will be downloaded each time
> and is a lengthy process. How do you solve this problem, so that a
> progress bar is displayed during this process.
>
> Solution I tried:
>  I used onCreateDialog() of the Activity and wrote a class which
> extends AsyncTask to create a dialog with new data. But in the method
> onCreateDialog(), it waits for a dialog to be returned, and I was not
> able to send using my class because onPostExecute() method's return
> type is void.
>
> Please suggest a solution. Thanks.
>
> -Venkata

Satya Komatineni