Hello,

I had the same issue with determination of orientation for different
devices: xoom, samsug galaxy tab, and samsung galaxy tab 10.1"

The main trick, is that devices has theirs own 'natural'/'default'
orientation. This orientation has index 0. For 10.1" samsung it is
LANDSCAPE.
For samsung galaxy tab it is PORTRAIT. So, devices can have different
orientation, when returning orientation index 0.

I have investigated and implemented the best way for determination of
orientation:
http://softteco.blogspot.com/2011/08/universal-way-to-detect-landscape-mode.html

:-D

Easy and useful.

If you find the reason why it is not the best solution - please let me know
in comments.

Best regards,
Yahor