RFC 822 has been obsolted by 2822...

But a more relevant issue is that not all email addresses in the "real world" (tm) are RFC compliant (just like email processing, in general).

I'd recommend going with a more forgiving validation than one strictly based on RFC BNFs.

Googling for "email regular expression" returns a lot of possibilities, here is a page with 38 of them:

http://regexlib.com/DisplayPatterns.aspx?cattabindex=0&categoryId=1 <http://regexlib.com/DisplayPatterns.aspx?cattabindex=0&categoryId=1>

Or one could just use the parser built into Android:

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/text/util/Rfc822Tokenizer.html

-- Kostya