On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 10:25 PM, Jim Graham <spooky1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Follow standards to be safe.  Ignore them at your own risk.  It's
> that simple.

While I agree it should be like this I will say Kostya has a point
here. Five years ago I worked on an e-mail parser for an antivirus
package.  As it turned out, one of the most widely used MUAs, Outlook
Express, is so insanely non-standard that there were numerous times
when I asked myself if it was still just incompetence, or if it was
broken deliberately.

However, you totally can't afford not to parse a message if a MUA
does.  You can argue that the message is incomplete, ambiguous and
unparseable until you're blue in the face, if there's  MUA that parses
it *somehow* and shows a potentially infected attachment to the user
you'd better parse it too so that it can be scanned ...