My Ubuntu environment is on a laptop, as stated before, and the emulator
runs quite sluggishly, takes 5 minutes to even start up. It's quite the bad
development form for school work. (Although I am seriously thinking about
dual-booting Ubuntu on my PC, thus overcoming the problem).

Yes, I have tried turning off "contact all software sources" and it gives
me an error saying I am missing some key piece of software something or
other.. However, I just tried to install it and it all of a sudden worked.
Do not know why, maybe because of a computer reboot since last trying.

Thanks for all the help everyone.