I wasn't going to enter back into this discussion because it's one of those
that polarises like checked Exceptions.

I also use singletons, but on a rare and very precise basis. And if you
have mentored as many developers as I have then you will understand why the
default mantra of don't use a singleton is valid. Junior developers seem to
become infatuated with them, overuse them, lose all perspective of the OO
nature of the language and start treating them as global functions.
Encapsulation and responsibility go out the window.

And on top of that you get all the attendant problems of objects with
indefinite life spans.

If you know what you are doing, fine. But it's similar to the mantra we
give kids "don't run with scissors".

William

---
"Android Developers" group.