I can see why Google may not want to moderate market submissions.  For
one, it would come at a cost.  There would have to be a team of people
responsible for it and they'd likely have to take a cut of app profits
to cover the cost.  This sort of moderation would also place a delay
in getting an app onto the market... I've heard some horror stories
about iphone apps taking months to go through the process.

Just playing devil's advocate here.  There's likely some good middle
ground.  Others may way that given time the market (and users) will
manage itself.

-Rob