I would like my app to pop up in the list of options for opening
certain file types in the various file manager, email, and web browser
apps.  I'm having trouble figuring out how to begin.  I haven't found
any examples of this sort of thing yet.

Don't I need to know what kind of action the other app is trying to
invoke on a selected file?  How can I possibly know that?  Or should I
simply assume that all file manager, email, and browser apps will
always use ACTION_VIEW or perhaps ACTION_EDIT when trying to send a
file to another app?  Must I simply assume this and hope I'm right?
There are so many possible apps to try to get this to work with, how
do I make it receive a "open-file" command from any arbitrary app?

Is the code below correct so far?  I have the following in the
manifest:

                <receiver
                        android:enabled="true"
                        android:exported="true"
                        android:label="Some Label, where does this show up?"
                        android:name=".MyBroadcastReceiver" >
                        <intent-filter>
                        <action
android:name="android.intent.action.ACTION_EDIT" />
                        </intent-filter>
                        <intent-filter>
                        <action
android:name="android.intent.action.ACTION_VIEW" />
                        </intent-filter>
                </receiver>

I don't see how to specify a file-type or file extension filter in the
receiver.  How do I do this?  Likewise I have the following in the
receiver:

public class MyBroadcastReceiver extends BroadcastReceiver {
        @Override
        public void onReceive(Context context, Intent intent) {
                if
(intent.getAction().equals("android.intent.action.ACTION_EDIT")
intent.getAction().equals("android.intent.action.ACTION_VIEW"))
{
                        Uri uri = intent.getData();
                        String uriStr = intent.getDataString();
                }
        }
}

Is that how I'm supposed to do it?  Do I assume the that file manager,
email. or browser app will send the file to my app by sending a file
URI or URL (I'm unclear on the distinction) in the data field of the
intent?  To be honest, I'm not sure if I'm even close to the mark on
this?  Is this code wildly off-base?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.  I'm not sure where to find out
how to do this.

Thank you very much.

Cheers!