Scott Mikolyski (sc...@mikolyski.com) solved my problem.

He suggested I add a private context to the custom itemized overlay,
modify the itemized overlay constructor to assign a context to the
private contxt. Then pass the context of the map activity to the
instantiation of the custom itemized overlay.

Alex

P.S. I am still interested in implementing a display of detail marker
information when hovering over a marker as implemented in many
location/map based products.