We recently changed our build system to force you to use javac 1.5.
While you can build the system with javac 1.6 (and you can certainly
build apps with 1.6), many members of the Android team still need to
use javac 1.5 for various reasons (mostly because Mac OS X.) If
someone uses javac 1.6, we are at risk of checking in code that does
not compile on javac 1.5 (use of @Override on interface methods.) This
has been the cause of broken builds several times in the past. While
we could simply use -target 1.5 -source 1.5 with javac 1.6, we decided
to not take risk and make sure everyone uses a similar compiler. Thus
the enforcement of javac 1.5.

--
Romain Guy
Android framework engineer

to provide private support.  All such questions should be posted on