I have not tried to put 2D elements (Views) onto a opengl surface.
However, what does work is to add more than one view to your activity
(setContentView & addContentView).
Specify your opengl-view to setContentView and specify your regular
view(group) to the addcontentview and make sure that that view(group)
has a transparent background.