I recall an email sent during the first challenge where winners of the
first round were being given a private SDK and chance to update. It
was frustrating because I'd spent a long time working around bugs in
the GTalk classes and would have loved to have an updated SDK to work
with, even if I wasn't in the winning group.

Err, getting to the point, allowing updates at some point in the
process isn't unprecedented. That said, I notice the terms and
conditions say "Android 1.5 or higher" in all the judging sections.
Maybe moving to 1.6 during the process was expected, but the problems
running 1.5 apps on 1.6 weren't.