Informative thread. I was also hoping BT connections could be made
between apps without user intervention. I came across FluidNexus which
creates an ad hoc network using Bluetooth. I thought it was a great
idea. I believe he has it working for Symbian phones and was porting
it over to Android(I think I even saw a working model).

1. Just to be 100% sure, even if I have a client and server running on
both phones(an app that someone has written), with the server
listening for it's specific client, there's no way they can exchange
data unless the user authorizes it?

2. Not to hijack this thread, but do any similar restrictions apply to
wifi ad hoc?

Thanks.